View Single Post
Old 02-25-2021, 07:58 AM   #173
Daigoro

Default Re: [GAME] Synthesise a Cybercity!

So you want to start your own dystopic corporate cybercity but don't know how? Just buy a plot of land in Nevada, and the dream could be yours!

Innovation zones promoted by Sisolak would create semi-autonomous city at behest of Blockchains LLC
----

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
Just some thinking on this:
With regard to funding and maintenance of it's position, maybe you could adjust things such that Kampalu can't (or won't) completely clean up the mess in orbit. That way it could raise funding by keeping orbit clean.
Once the Space Age restarts in earnest, there'd be a lot of orbit cleaning operations going on, so I can't see Kampalu remaining central to that with its laser broom. Maybe it could establish itself as a salvage hub offering bounties for bits of satellite brought in (an idea from worldbuilding.stackexchange), with corporate customers paying to have certain orbits cleared. I guess it could charge extortion fees for anything to launch, shooting down unauthorised launches, but I figured no nation-state would allow that for long.

Also, it's 180 years since the orbital attack, so anything below about 750km would have naturally deorbited by now, meaning there'd need to have been significant debris coming from 800 or 900km up. (Satellite orbit decay is exponential with height - 200 km - 1 day; 300 km - 1 month; 400 km - 1 year; 500 km - 10 years; 700 km - 100 years; 900 km - 1000 years. Small, low mass:surface area debris would likely deorbit faster.) But that debris would have to have been cleared up enough for the skies to be declared open in the first place, so I'm not sure how "keeping the skies clean" could be justifiable.

Quote:
You could also have smaller states and corporations supporting Kampalu if only because they can't compete in a fully militarized space situation.
Yeah, I think something geopolitical would be more satisfactory, but I'm not sure how it would work. There'd need to be a Kampalu Trust set up on the ground to collect and manage the money, but where would that come from? Maybe a Lo Lai directive, but I don't want them to become too central. Otherwise, one of the old hacker shell companies might step forward as legitimate reps on the ground.

There could also have been a shadow war going on around the hacker circle while they were renovating Kampalu, with some agencies trying to infiltrate or take out the hackers and others secretly protecting them to allow them to work, the hackers being largely unaware, so whoever was interested in that could take control from the ground too. Would that be an Integral thing?

Quote:
With regard to the Congress of Kampalu, you could keep it largely the same, but just emphasize that it's just very powerful and not hegemonic. So maybe Kampalu did pass a resolution with regard to RepliSophonts, but the megacorporations and governments were too resistant. Maybe the final International Commission for YOU-Topia was the result of negotiations between CoK and other parties (which would explain why the International Commission self-regulates its membership).
Yeah, I think we can put it in a position with some power but not complete global authority. I'd still like to see it being subverted by the corps somehow though, per ericthered's ideas. Maybe corps strategically take positions supporting Kampalu, especially against a rival like NeuroCorp, so they can in turn gain support for something they'd want later.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!

Last edited by Daigoro; 02-25-2021 at 08:48 AM.
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote