View Single Post
Old 02-22-2021, 05:15 AM   #7
Anaraxes

Default Re: Pricing a Choice of Skill Enhancement

I agree with those that post that it's a minor difference, and you could call it a Perk or even handwave it away.

If you wanted to be RAW-precise and calculate it out, it would be an Either-Or Limitation. Requires Skill Roll is normally -10%, but that's already factored in to Innate Attack. Using Bow skill instead would also be RSR. So it's an Either/Or of two 10% Limitations, which would be a -1% Limitation. But since there's already that -10% built into IA, you'd want a +9% Enhancement to mostly cancel it out and leave the -1% for the Either/Or.

But I can't say I'm usually happy with the way Either/Or works out. It's a bonus to have the additional flexibility. In this case, there's the cost of two skills to keep up to equal levels. (Otherwise, you'd just use the better skill all the time, possibly neglecting the other one.) It's not really the same as the usual application of Either/Or for two non-overlapping situations, so that you've almost always got an escape clause from either Limitiation. So it's not really worth that much. But then, even the official Either/Or text in PU8 says GMs are likely to want to adjust the result of the (impeccable) arithmetic.

So, +5% is certainly justifiable. Or just a Skill Adaptation Perk.

Or just a freebie. It's not like you can't easily just take a hand off your bow (a free action) and point a finger to fire a lightning bolt in the middle of combat (your Attack Maneuver). If you're not in the middle of aiming or reloading, anyway :)
Anaraxes is online now   Reply With Quote