View Single Post
Old 03-24-2022, 01:06 AM   #2
StevenH

Default Re: [Magic] Replacing the Enchant spell with Alchemy or Herb Lore

One of the ways I have modified Slow and Sure is to assume that the 1 point per day number comes from a mage with 10 FT investing all of that energy and getting a 10% return. If they have 15 FT, they get 1.5 per day. Add in a set of powerstones (say, 11 10pt powerstones that they rotate through) they now have 2.5 per day. Paut potions (or talismans) can add some more. So can extra mages.

Then there is Lend Energy wands. Now you can have "professional resters" who give a chunk of their energy to the enchanter, then rest, then do it again (up to 7 times per 8 hour day). This drastically speeds up the process, but now you have to factor in an extra 7 castings of a spell per day, which can increase the risk of a critical failure. So this technique would only likely be used if there is a big rush to get something done, and/or there is a hefty premium being paid to make that risk acceptable.

I actually had an enchanter mage as a character way back when, so I extrapolated the enchanting rules to actually figure out what an enchanter does all day. Those house rules can be found here, if you are interested. There are some variants here.

StevenH

My current worldbuilding project. You can find the Adventure Logs of the campaign here. I try to write them up as narrative prose, with illustrations. As such, they are "embellished" accounts of the play sessions.

Link of the moment: Bestiary of Plants. In a world of mana, plants evolved to use it as an energy source.

It is also the new home of the Alaconius Lectures, a series of essays about the various Colleges of Spells.
StevenH is offline   Reply With Quote