View Single Post
Old 02-21-2014, 09:32 AM   #9
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Sorcery SpellPower - Rumor Message

Animal Messenger
Basic Cost: 39 points.
Casting Roll: Will.
Duration: Six Days.

You can program a nearby animal to deliver a message to a specific person or person. You must first make skin-to-skin contact (which may be difficult depending on the target), spend 1 minute constantly whispering to it the message you want it to deliver and it's target's name (which you must also visualize, or roll at a -5 penalty), and then roll a Quick Contest of Will. From then it will obsessively try to find the target and deliver the message, chittering and chattering the words of the missive the entire time (this is equivalent to a half level of the Noisy disadvantage). It can even pass this onto other animals who hear it, who must make a Will roll against the caster's original roll (use the Contagion rules p. B442 for further modifiers), failure means they too must pass the message on.

Statistics: Affliction 1 (Will; Accessibility, Animals only, -25%; Based on Will, +20%; Contact Agent, -30%; Cosmic, Cyclic on affliction, +50%; Cyclic, 1 day, 6 cycles, Highly Contagious, +110%; Extended Duration, 3,000x, +140%; Immediate Preparation Required, 1 minute, -30%; Magic, -10%; Malediction 1, +100%; Melee Attack, C, -30%; Disadvantage, Obsession (N/A; Find target and deliver the message) and Utterance (the message), +13%; Hearing-Based, -20%) [39].

Utterance and No Self-Control roll are from GURPS Zombies. Normally, attaching Cyclic to anything but Innate Attack is a no-no...but so is use Rapid Fire for non-ranged attacks (which was allowed with a Cosmic exemption in Pyramid #3/61 Way of the Warrior). I didn't feel it was too game breaking - so a +50% version of Cosmic fits just fine. Consider this is almost as powerful as Mind Control (which could still be a option for this) I feel the price is fair. Basically, for 39 points you can send out a message that may or may not reach it's target and can possibly be intercepted along the way.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote