View Single Post
Old 08-11-2015, 07:00 AM   #6
Varyon

Default Re: [RPM] [Sorcery] Merging the Systems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qhaysh View Post
Also, something just came to mind. If you want to maintain some sort of Greater/Lesser Effect distinction, you could use different rates to convert the cost. Something like: if the spell deals up to 3d external damage, its energy cost is [point cost/2], if it deals more damage than that, it becomes [point cost].
My intention is to handle it from the opposite direction, converting from energy to character point cost, in which case the Greater/Lesser Effect bit is already built in. If you wanted to go from the opposite direction, the points -> energy conversion should always be the same, but boosting the cost of high levels (that is, beyond Lesser) of effect on the points side may be appropriate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I've actually done all the work for you in Pyramid #3/66: The Laws of Magic (pp. 12-13). Simply use the the rules for Ritual Powers to figure out the cost and go from there.
That version (which I hadn't noticed before, so thanks for pointing it out) is essentially the same as the RPM+Sorcery system I quoted PK on, with some minor nuances added in. While it's a solid system, it's not what I'm looking for, as it still requires the ritual be built twice, in two different ways - as an RPM Ritual, and as a Power. The Power still functions differently from a Ritual - the example Fireball doesn't have the option of being delivered via touch. I want something where you can build the ritual once, as an RPM Ritual, and allow the character to pay points to make it an innate part of themselves rather than a ritual they have to gather energy for. It's meant to continue functioning exactly as an RPM Ritual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
We aren't. I mean, I'm not.
Pah, the meatbags should know by now that you're an AI designed for churning out Pyramid articles.

Last edited by Varyon; 08-11-2015 at 07:05 AM.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote