View Single Post
Old 06-13-2018, 04:53 PM   #2
AlexanderHowl

Default Re: Fantasy magic styles and alchemy

Symbolic magic is not hard to handle as long as you keep in mind the limitations of the lexicon and the limitations of the system. Are you going with an FP-based system, a Threshold-limited system, or something more exotic for energy for the symbolic system?

As for the alchemy, I would suggest looking at the alchemy in Thaumatology: Ritual Path Magic. In short, it allows practitioners to store up to (Core Skill plus Magery) spells in reserve in elixir form, gives a Magical Reserve of (Magery × 3), though Magery does not add to magical skills. It takes an hour per elixir, so I think that a limitation of Alchemy Only (-40%) would probably be suitable and, since Magery does not add to skill, I would allow up to Magery 10.

In that system, an alchemist with Magery 5 (Alchemy Only, -40%) [35] and Alchemy-15 would have Magical Reserve 15 and could have up to 20 elixirs in reserve. They could only learn spells to cast them into an elixir, which they could pay for with their Magical Reserve. Of course, it might not work for your world.
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote