View Single Post
Old 10-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #63
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Power-Ups for RPM?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
Is a +1 that big of a path bonus? Assuming I understand your pricing scheme correctly, at third level for 120 CP, you get a +1 to Path rolls and can ignore up to one greater effect for any ritual. That +1 is miniscule beside the other benefit (it would cost 10 CP as an All-Paths Talent). Granted not all rituals have greater effects, but if you're specifically spending 120 points on a power-up that lets you ignore a greater effect, you are probably planning on using a lot of greater effects. And if you aren't aiming for the reduction in greater effect multiplier, why are you spending 40 points for a +1 to Path skills? Heck, with 9 path skills, its cheaper to just raise each one by a level (only 36 CP) or just buy up IQ by 1 (20 CP).

While I get you wanting to add in some utility at that price level, I really don't see being able to reduce other people's greater effect multipliers as being consistent with the intent behind this sort of power-up - "I'm freakin' awesome at magic and can do flashy things with it!" To add back in some of the lost utility, I suggest ignoring the need to Concentrate for a second, spend 2 FP and make an IQ roll to use this. So it becomes an always-on passive ability to cast some really flashy stuff more cheaply.

Then use Control (Magic) for all the fun stuff you are mentioning, like affecting others' greater effects multipliers, gather magic, successfully cast magic, etc. That would represent your ability to manipulate the ambient mana field itself.
You get +1 per level of your Control. Again, Control (Psi) gives a +1 to psi skills per level and +1 to psi powers per 10 levels. So if you're going to keep a analogue to that, you need to keep it at least moderately sane.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote