Thread: US city-states
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2015, 03:11 AM   #11
Prince Charon

Default Re: US city-states

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Smith View Post
Similar issue here in the UK. Right now the Scottish National Party almost completely dominates scottish politics ("first past the post" translates 55% support into 95% ish seats). They seem to think this will persist indefinitely, even if Scotland votes for independence in some hypothetical future referendum. They don't realise that once the issue that defines them is won, either they will splinter into two or more parties or another party (existing or new) will take a big chunk of support. And they've only had this huge level of support since the referendum (that they lost) a couple of years ago, so in fact the current situation is probably a brief blip in historical terms.
According to at least one Scot I've communicated with, the only reason they have as much support as they do (outside the advantage of FPTP) is that they aren't the Conservatives, Liberals, or Labour. Make of that what you will.

"The more corrupt a government, the more it legislates."
-- Tacitus

Five Earths, All in a Row. Updated 12/17/2022: Apocrypha: Bridges out of Time, Part I has been posted.
Prince Charon is offline   Reply With Quote