View Single Post
Old 10-24-2018, 04:16 PM   #23
TheAmishStig

Default Re: Vulcans and Friends counter sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by offsides View Post
The good thing about modular Ogres (Ninja or otherwise) is that you have a nearly infinite set of options and in some ways it makes logical sense that these giant factories using templates could whip up various combinations of equipment to customize an Ogre for any given job.

The bad thing about modular Ogres is that it gets very complicated VERY quickly, and being fiddly is the least of your problems. Not the least of which is non-standard record sheets and play balance.

Overall, Ogre is incredibly simple in its structure, making things like modular Ogres a poor choice for inclusion in the core rules. If it doesn't meet KISS, it's probably too complicated. That said, I personally LOVE fiddly, detailed optional/alternate rules, and would be happy to see them (and even other modular equipment rules!) as ether an Ogrezine article or some other optional supplement. They say variety is the spice of life, so why not spice of some Ogres? :P
Exactly: Ogre is defined by its elegance, if it ends up with a [fnord]load of special case rules that muck up the game and slow it down, it ceases to be Ogre. It's why I'm trying to think about it in terms of 'mission modules'...a completely separate entity from the Ninja itself, and am limiting it [in my mind] to the Ninjas, because of their highly specialized roles.

One module lets it mount a Shuriken. Another module might let it mount a Bushin [an LT that, when deployed, sensors can't tell the difference between it or a real Ninja until the shooting starts]. Who knows what anyone else will dream up.

The bit about cargo capacity is something someone [I think ColBosch, when he made the Golem thread] initially proposed for de-fiddlying the Vulcan / Ninja / Golem cargo rules into a single unified "internal cargo bay" rule, as right now what any given unit can carry within itself is completely arbitrary. When inspiration strikes, I've picked at looking for patterns and doing the math.

I've got it to where it sounds strange at first read [because 'Size 1' is everything up to and including a box truck], but works with the existing stats for all currently-canon cargo carriers [Truck, Hovertruck, Vulcan, arguably Ninja, and Train]. But since I don't want to steal his thunder, he gets first dibs.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote