View Single Post
Old 10-22-2018, 08:20 PM   #13
TheAmishStig

Default Re: Vulcans and Friends counter sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopagus View Post
Yea apparently I'm in a flame war with CS over the plasma weapon but I keep trying to point out that the weapon selection isn't (or at least I think) the issue its having something very powerful over a short range that gets weaker over distance and can only be used every other (or every third) turn. You have to think how to sue it and how to defend again it. That is all I am trying to go for. Now if you tell me it's not worth the effort cool I'll leave it at that and play with those that want to. Any way we really should P.M. sorry for everyone else caught in our conversation.
Eh, conversation is healthy! Flame wars less so, but conversation yes.

Do you play From the Depths by chance? It's very similar to that game's Particle Cannon, complete with sharp fall-off at range and charge time. My concern isn't what it is, it's 'how' it is.

In that respect...David [GranitePenguin] has done a very good job of using my own "Don't invoke a name unless you're staying true to it" philosophy against me, beating 'No, bad Andy, Ogre is not [insert super-fiddly wargame here]. Keep It Elegant, Stupid' into me over the past year and a half or so.

With that on my mind, I'm left wondering if the Particle Cannon wouldn't be better off starting with the draft / speculative / whatever rules for the Ogrethulhu Eye [the one I remember / am thinking of is the one that was a beam weapon, not the sanity check one on BGG], and then tweaking it to make it your own. Might let you keep a similar feel, while getting the bookkeeping down to something that feels like Steve himself dreamed it up.

If the 'every X turns' mechanic is absolutely non-negotiable, may I suggest using the 'Disabled' rules [it 'disables' when it fires, becomes susceptible to D results, and can fire again when it recovers] instead? Repurpose something everyone already knows how to use, rather than creating all-new one-off rules.

And then for Miniatures, give it a simple "Ignores the Hard Cover bonus for most circumstances; 'Very Good' hard cover grants a +1 instead of the usual +2" to replace the math of computing effective hexes and then looking up the attack strength based on the effective hexes and all that jazz...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf90 View Post
You're more than welcome. I'm glad you followed through!

[snip]

I'm thinking you won't need to wait too long . . . !

D.
You're such a tease.

I can't say what it'll be or when, but you'll hear from me again...I'm short of time, I'm short people to playtest with, but I'm not short of ideas.

Ideally I'd also like to start getting scenarios and variant units in, if only to build more of a body of experience at game design. Got a few ideas, but putting together unit lists is one thing...making something that's fun enough to play over and over again, and in terms of more ambitious projects making entire subsystems that play nice with one another is another entirely!
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote