View Single Post
Old 02-26-2018, 07:58 PM   #24
JLV

Default Re: TFT - Game Accessories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk View Post
Megahexes are useful, and a part of TFT, IMO. They facilitate determining distance for both the GM and the Players, and are used in determining the effects of light and sound, the range and effect of magic spells, and of course, various tactical aspects such as missile weapon range.

I've had to play on hex boards without MHs and it slowed play, often lead to confusion, and at a gut level detracted from the enjoyment of the game. MHs also give the eye something to anchor to, instead of a seemingly endless horizon of generic hexes.

MHs are a distinctive aspect of TFT, as much as its interesting, balanced, and very functional tactical interaction system. I certainly hope these remain a standard part of the game system.
I'm going to agree with this. Are MH necessary? No, possibly not, but neither is great art, and we all want that. And MH DO make a lot of game functions significantly easier and quicker. It's what Redmond Simonsen used to call a "graphic game aid" that can produce outsize effects with a simple dark line on the map...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote