View Single Post
Old 02-17-2018, 01:52 PM   #4
owenmp

Default Re: Dear Steve: 1985 Autoduel for Steam?

Autoduellists can only dream what might have been with this Backfire letter from almost 30 years ago. :o)

I am sending for your purview the design specifications and script for Autoduel II, the sequel to Lord British and Chuckles' computer adaptation of Car Wars, which we are developing for Origin Systems, Inc. We are very pleased to have the opportunity to design this game, and we have strong ideas of what enhancements are possible and necessary to add more Car Wars flavor to the game. We are very interested in your impression of the script and any changes you can suggest which would enhance the appeal of the finished game. We would also like to know how you feel about inviting AADA West Coast and World Champions to join the game as NPCs.

At our script review we bandied about the idea of expanding the car construction system and marketing it as a computerized play aid for Car Wars and GURPS Autoduel. Please let us know what you think of this idea.

Yours truly,

Kiri Naiman
MicroMagic
Backfire, ADQ 6/4, Winter 2038 (1988)

Me, I think it's a fantastic idea . . .

I had a chance to look over the script change, and it looks good! The vehicle construction and combat systems look like they will mirror Everybody's Favorite Game, with nearly every gadget up to and including the most recent Uncle Albert's catalog available. Among interesting options are an online newspaper called Autoduel Weekly, featuring local arena schedules and news of famous duellists (including PCs once they become famous), printouts of completed designs, and saving designs to disk (which allows swapping designs between friends). Stay tuned -- more news as it comes in.

Charlie A. Oines
ADQ Editor
Backfire, ADQ 6/4, Winter 2038 (1988)
Twitter: Car Combat Central
https://twitter.com/carcombat

Last edited by owenmp; 02-17-2018 at 06:31 PM.
owenmp is offline   Reply With Quote