View Single Post
Old 01-05-2020, 12:05 AM   #11
Refplace

Default Re: Alternate Take On Magery Advantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
This is an excellent point. IMHO the people who complain about the damage of spells in the standard GURPS Magic system are coming from either D&D-like games where you need huge, insane amounts of damage because "hit points" represent more then the ability to take actual physical or Supers like games where the setting is woven into the Hit points where in GURPS they are more effectively handled by cinematic rules.
A 1d missile is equivalent to an arrow and a 2d missile to a pistol. With Skill 20 you can shoot that 2d missile all day so mages really are pretty decent. It that cinematic archers and strong warriors, especially cinematic ones can dish out more. Where raw firepower drops off the is not compared to real weapons in typical fantasy tech levels but in cinematic campaigns. On the other hand that is unlimited ammo...
Making them do more damage weakens archers in comparison.
On the other hand they have lots of versatility too and several Regular spells are quite deadly in combat. Newcomers focus too much on missile spells because thats what other systems do best. But several colleges, especially say Mind Control have devastating low cost fast attack spells.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote