View Single Post
Old 12-18-2018, 09:25 AM   #25
namada
Banned

Default Re: Study of Folklore and Magic in Texas and the Gulf Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Well, thanks. I'll be sure to make use of that kind offer.
You're welcome.
Quote:
Where would the closest area to New Orleans where the accent sounds more 'normal' Southern be located?
Well, first I'd have to ask, which Southern accent? ;)

Most Americans, even, lump all Southern accents together, but there are two distinct types: The Drawl & The Antebellum. The Drawl spans Texas, North Louisiana (above the flat horizontal line of the "boot"), Arkansas, Tennessee, Virginia, and (for some reason I can't figure) Florida. The Antebellum spans Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, and both North and South Carolina. That's been my general experience anyhow.

In south Louisiana, we've got two main accents Cajun (from the eastern edge of the Atchafalaya Basin, westward) & Creole (East of the Atchafalaya Basin). Baton Rouge and the surrounding area have a good mix both those and The Drawl from relocated individuals from the north of the state. Then, surrounding the cities of Lafayette, Baton Rouge, and New Orleans, you can also find a large portion of the population (maybe 50%), has what most Americans would say is "no accent." The closer you get to the borders of other states (and northern Louisiana), the more likely you are to encounter those other accents.
Quote:
I love Joe R. Lansdale!
Sweet. Me too!
It's always nice to encounter a fellow Landsdale Lover...
Quote:
His novels and short stories, as well as Nic Pizzolatto's* Galveston novel (now the movie Galveston) were major influences on my decision to set the campaign partially around Galveston, near the Big Thicket of East Texas, instead of having the home base be in the Caribbean itself.
Landsdale mostly centers his stories around his hometown of Nacogdoches, which is in Northeast Texas - home of the Thicket (you can see the area is surrounded by national forests on Google Maps).
namada is offline   Reply With Quote