View Single Post
Old 03-08-2018, 01:33 PM   #4
phayman53

Default Re: [Banestorm] Fleshing-out the Armsmen's Guild

The reason I went with Code of Honor and Vow or Secret is that is something that I have seen on official templates before where someone in that profession is expected to have a certain Code of Honor.

I also think GURPS vows do not have to be internally enforced, they can represent a requirement that you have to uphold to stay in an organization, so you do.

That said, instead of Code of Honor (Stay's Bought) [-5] and the Minor Vow [-5], I could see changing it to a -10 point vow that is: "follow local laws in regard to legitimate use of force and respect for private property, only take paid mercenary duties through the guild if there is a local chapter (this results in a 5% fee being paid to the guild), and follow the dictates of the "stay's bought" code of honor (Banestorm pg. 185)". This means that there is no internal compulsion to do this, it is the agreement you make to be in the Armsmen's Guild. If you violate this vow and do not get caught, it gets replaced with the -10 point Secret.

Does this seem to offer more room for a middle-ground player? They will not be doing bad role-playing if they decide to break their vow, but the consequence will be changing these traits to a Secret that could, in turn, be very problematic if exposed. This way, a player could also take Code of Honor (Stay's Bought) and/or Honesty, but in this case he or she would not violate the Vow for the Guild without being guilty of incorrectly role-playing their character.
phayman53 is offline   Reply With Quote