View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 05:26 AM   #9
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: [Spaceships] Design switches, system availability etc. for Star Wars?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Pedersen View Post
Particle beams tend to have negative sAcc, and I think particle beams are the most appropriate for Star Wars - engagements tend to happen at short range in that universe, which the low ranges of particle beams will support. Combine the low sAcc and the small size of fighters (remember, you get a bonus equal to SM to hit a ship), and have high pilot skill to dodge attacks, and you should be pretty good. Although I've thought for a while that a "maneuvering thrusters" system that added to a ship's Hnd stat would be a good idea as well.
When you factor in the extremely short ranges at which fighters engage, I think the accuracy is quite a bit better than you're giving it credit for.

Spaceships 4 rules that you probably want to use:
-All cinematic piloting options. (Hugging the Enemy is the basis of Trench Run Disease, a codified anti-capital tactic in the EU.)
-Accidental Collisions While Dodging.
-Airplane-style dogfights (if not using a grid).
-Cockpit Multitasking.
-Exploding Spaceships and Fireballs.
-(maybe) Relative Target Size.

Also, plasma beams might be a closer fit than particle beams.

I don't know how you're going to convince designers that all spacecraft need to be streamlined, though. For just one of the many issues...

EDIT: Added notes:
-No guns.
-Missiles cannot be set for fragmentation. X-ray heads are right out.
-Nobody uses VRF weapons. The only exception I can think of is the turrets on the Millennium Falcon. Most weapons are RF, though.

Last edited by Ulzgoroth; 11-05-2009 at 05:44 AM.
Ulzgoroth is offline   Reply With Quote