Thread: New Skills
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2018, 09:06 PM   #164
Rick_Smith

Default Memory cost of skills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
... But Guy's points / slot idea still means that expensive talents become proportionally more valuable than 'small' talents like Horsemanship, Seamanship, Driving, Climbing, etc.

But using Guy's rules (but not using the mIQ = [total attr.]/2), the Ranger Prince could be created by creating a character with ST 11, DX 14, IQ 15. (Ignoring points, the character needs 16 slots, but less one for the Tactics / Strategist saving. Further the character could eventually pick up Expert Naturalist as a bonus.)

So Guy's rules actually addresses my major concern.

Warm regards, Rick.
Hi all,
Guy had suggested that talents cost more XP to buy, but always fit into a single memory slot. (Kinda like how spells always fit into a single memory slot.)

Shostak, mentioned the Grey Mouser. If we wanted to write up the Grey Mouser, we might pick the following talents:

Sword(2), Two Handed Weapons (3) (he wields scalpel & cats claw), Fencing (3), Thrown Weapons (2), Seamanship (1), Boating (1), Sex Appeal (1), Running (2), Horsemanship (1), Swimming (1), Charisma (2), Silent Movement (2), Recognize Value (1), Assess Value(1), Climbing (1) (He and Fafrd climbed the mountain Stardock after all), Brawling (1), Thief (2), Master Thief (2), Disguise (2) and a couple spells since he was trained as a magician and occasionally dabbled in magic. This is equal to 32 mIQ + what ever spells you want to give him.

Some possible talents which I've not included are: Tactics (1), Master Horsemanship (1), Carousing (1), New Followers (2), Tracking (1), Diplomacy (1), Captain (2), a couple languages, and a few others.

Under the rules Guy was suggesting, (where each talent fits into a single slot) the Mouser would need 19 memory slots, (plus any spells), which might just be possible under the new TFT.

However, in the Unarmed Combat thread, Steve was saying that UC i thru v would take up a full 9 memory slots. This means that exotic multi-class characters like (Pirates AND Thief), (Bandit Leader AND Ranger), and (Master Merchants) are impossible in new TFT.

For those who don't remember, this is my dimwitted, but friendly pirate whom I want to play:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick_Smith View Post
... Most adventurers want to have a few fighting skills, (say Sword, Shield, & Running), and if they take some other talents (Thief, Detect Traps, Climbing, & Silent MA), then they are DONE. ... Boating, Seamanship & Swimming ... Charisma or Sex Appeal. ...Guns and Missile Weapons ...
I consider this THE major problem with new TFT.

What conceivable bonus to game play or role playing is achieved, by making memory so tight that you can't be both a thief and a pirate?

Warm regards, Rick.

Last edited by Rick_Smith; 07-14-2018 at 11:17 PM.
Rick_Smith is offline   Reply With Quote