View Single Post
Old 12-11-2014, 08:02 AM   #25
TheOneRonin

Default Re: Unarmed vs. Knife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomsdad View Post
Don't forget that if your using MA pg125: 'harsh realism', parries with hands and C reach weapon to stamps and kicks to legs are at -2.
Good point. And since the knife is already at -1 to Parry, it makes it pretty unlikely to happen unless your foe is really skilled.

Quote:
However I do find it a bit odd that a stamp to the ankle defaults at -10 (-3 to stamp, -7 to target the ankle) which is the same penalty to hit the eye through a visor slit.

Stamp to the ankle is obviously the worst of both attack type and target of course, and TBF in balance a ST10 without heavy boots is doing 1d-1 thr cr damage and will cripple the ankle of a ST10 target 50% of the time.
If you have a high enough Karate or Brawling to even think about attempting this, you'll get a damage bonus from high skill.

So ST 10 Karate guy with Karate-18 is doing 1d+1 thr cr with a Stamp Kick.

At that point, I'm not sure if it's worth bothering to target the Ankle(Joint) over just the Foot. You only need 4 points of damage to cripple the foot vs. 3 to cripple the Ankle on a 10-HP opponent. Even with a 16 HP opponent, you are looking at needing 5 damage vs. ankle compared to 6 damage vs. the foot.

I'd rather just go for the Foot and be able to sink another 2 points into Deceptive Attack. And if I built a Martial Artist, I'd probably have ST 12 at minimum, and more likely ST 14.

At that point, your Stamp Kick is doing 1d+3 thr cr, so crippling the foot is almost guaranteed.

Quote:
Also while maxing out Kicking and TA Kick/Joint(Knee) is hefty investment, you have that kicking bonus for other kicking attacks as well.
True. From an efficiency standpoint, it's really hard not to max out Kicking if you are building a hand-to-hand fighter. It's just very good...especially with being able to attack at Reach 1.
TheOneRonin is offline   Reply With Quote