View Single Post
Old 01-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #46
Frosty

Default Re: Is there a reason why there is no table for submachine guns in GURPS Lite 4e?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
Then what game am I supposed to run with it?
You're not supposed to run anything with it. From the front page of GURPS Lite:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GURPS Lite, p. 1
This is the boiled-down “essence” of
GURPS: all the fundamental rules, but not
the options and embellishments that often
confuse new players. Once you’re comfortable
with these rules, you can pick up the
GURPS Basic Set and jump right into the
action. Experienced Game Masters will, we
hope, find this a valuable tool for
introducing new players to the game.
It's a tool for the GM, who is assumed to either have a greater range of GURPS stuff or be comfortable with improvising and/or coming up with his own material, to get players oriented in the system by showing them the fundamentals of the rules and presenting situations which are likely to arise across genres (no matter what genre, people are likely to fight, be injured and need care, climb things, try to find things which aren't immediately evident, etc.; not every campaign needs rules for magic, automatic weapons, force fields, etc.). It is in no way intended to be complete in itself, nor enough to run a campaign, and it says so on both the e23 page and at the very beginning of the book itself.
I see anything in that quote that remotely resembles, "You're not supposed to run anything with it."

Also, the quote somewhat works against your argument. GURPS Lite Fourth Edition dictates, "Once you're comfortable with these rules, you can pick up the GURPS: Basic Set and jump right into the action."

Which suggests, to me, that it is a learning tool for newbies and not for veterans. This is backed up with the following, "Experienced Game Masters will, we hope, find this a valuable tool for introducing new players to the game."

This further supports my opinion, because it directly confirms it. GURPS Lite Fourth Edition can be used by an experienced GM as a learning tool for newbs, like you said, but that is not its only purpose. There's no reason why a newbie can't cut out the middle man and begin learning GURPS right away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darekun View Post
My own objection to GURPS Lite is that it isn't low-res, just incomplete. For example, GURPS Ultra-Lite is very low-res, but complete. It's a simpler game. GURPS Lite, OTOH, is a slice of full GURPS. Hm, Frosty, have you looked at GURPS Ultra-Lite?
No, I haven't.

I was under the impression that GURPS Ultra-Lite would be nothing more than a Post-it note with the words, "SEE GURPS: SOMETHING ELSE" scribbled on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darekun View Post
Of course, I want a system that generally lets me tune the res to the campaign. GURPS isn't that system; for the most part, it doesn't change res, instead it changes completeness. So Lite actually works as a better demo the way it is, that's just not a good thing :J
I just want a beginner's system to learn the ropes with, that can actually function independently without relying on GURPS: Something Else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
Or do I have to buy one of the books first, to find out?
Well, actually that's kind of the point - GURPS books are meant to be bought, since GURPS is a commercial book and the authors write them hoping to earn some money.
Are you suggesting that I should buy a book to find usable ideas for adventures and campaigns for a roleplaying system that prides itself on being generic and universal?

Forget it.

Quote:
Quote:
Well, GURPS does stand for "Generic Universal RolePlaying System", does it not?
Yes, it is called GURPS, not FURPS, because it's not supposed to be free. You can find several free games on the net.
I don't ever remember claiming that GURPS should be free, so I have no idea what you're on about.

Quote:
Quote:
So doesn't that mean GURPS Lite Fourth Edition should be called RPS Lite Fourth Edition instead?
(…)

Except that you have to resort to third-party content and fan sources to make parts of the game work.
Your complaints appear totally absurd to me.
Your replies appear totally absurd to me.

Quote:
You are actually complaining...
Yes.

Quote:
… that a free, "demo" booklet…
Yes.

Quote:
… does not suit your, quite high, expectations?
No. I do not have "quite high" expectations, I have basic expectations.

Quote:
It's not like you paid for it, I don't see how you can whine about it.
I'm not whining. I'm making a legitimate complaint and when people reply with counter-arguments, they only sidestep the issue.

You are a convenient example.

Quote:
Let me explain that GURPS Lite is not a free, standalone game, it's just the "demo" for GURPS, an introductory tool for new players.
I already read the introduction.

Quote:
But I think you already know that…
Yes, I do.

Quote:
… actually, I am starting to think you came here on bad faith.
What a coincidence! I was having the same thoughts about you.

Quote:
Either that, or you have really weird ideas about RPGs, and commercial books/games in general.
I don't think that standards are weird and I doubt that anyone else does, either.