View Single Post
Old 07-13-2018, 07:42 AM   #59
Fred Brackin

Default Re: Minimum Skill Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by Žorkell View Post
Considering that most/many/all US cities have at least some grid system where the streets run North-South and East-West I don't see how the above task would be a Navigation roll.
Grids may apply to big cities with central planning mostly. the rest of the US might tend to be more "sprawly" and eccentric.

That said, I can't remember the last time I gave or recived directions that focussed on compass terms. They tend to be all about roads, landmarks and left or right turns.

For example, were I at the mall in my litle town of 40k people and was asked by a confused Yankee about how to get back to I-95 I would do as follows; first I would point in the desired direction and say"First you exit this parking lot _there_ turning left onto US-1. You follow that through the center of town until you get to Garden Street. There will e a CVS on your left and a Papa John's pizza place on your right. You turn _left_ on Garden and follow it til you get to I-95.".

Not really Navigation Skill material. I could ahve phrased things in terms of compass directions. You can almost see the ocean from that parking lot and I-95 does run Nouth-South but other places those compass facings might not be so easy to determine.