View Single Post
Old 05-18-2019, 09:50 PM   #166
Plane

Default Re: A Challenger Appears! Green versus Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Its still a munchkiny pile of rules abuse!
It's kind of a pointless waste of AP, there's a lot of risk of failure for a mere +1 to parry.

Quote:
Does that allow for free retreats backwards still?
A basic universal AP income (AP for being alive, let's say) replacing the free step would mean you could either spend it on a retreat, a step, an attack, or just let it accrue to rebuild your pool.

Although this gives a "I can punch a boxing bag forever" problem, it doesn't really seem any more absurd than the "I can walk forever" problem with free steps.

Quote:
So its equivalent to giving do nothing a step?
No, more like guaranteeing a DN gives you 1 AP back.

Another option might be, if guaranteed AP recovery is bad, is to give ALL maneuvers a HT roll to recover AP instead of the free step (so if you pass, you effectively got a free step) and give the ones that already had those rolls better bonuses (so say, +4 for an Evaluate/Waits, +8 for a Do Nothing?)

Quote:
When would you declare the AP spent? when they attack? That REALLY penalizes AOD. Right now its the default behavior when they're bearing down on you and you're exhausted, and I think that's the correct setting.
Based on how AODs function like Waits (get a HT roll like Evaluate if untriggered) the basic difference is you get a chance to recovery AP or you get 2 potential AP.

I don't totally get why Waits untriggered become recovery maneuvers. I was thinking if untriggered they would just be zero-cost like a Concentrate or an Aim.

But for AOD, the idea seems to be that you get 2 free defence attempts, which is why half-cost defenses sounded like it.
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote