View Single Post
Old 09-23-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
Stripe

Default Re: Shaman verses Druid

Just some ideas off the top of my head for stereotypical fantasy Druids and Shamans.

Druids have strong plant and animal skills/powers/spells. They are forest friends and protectors. Likely to be vegetarian. Won't use animals "against their will." Animals behave as if the druid was a "friend" rather than a "master."

Druids ask, "How can I be of service to nature?" The answer might be to cultivate gardens, heal sick or wounded animals, protect the forest, etc.

Shaman's skills and powers are often animal-themed, but they are more heavily spirit-oriented. They are more into the dead and the beyond. Animals and plants should be respected, but used as part of the cycle of life (e.g., A Shaman might kill a buffalo and use it's hide, whereas a Druid might skin a carcass, but not kill for it). Animals are treated well and the Shaman will be a "natural" at training and understanding them, but not necessarily to supernatural levels like the Druid.

Shamans ask, "What does nature suggest I do with my life?" The answer might be to go on a quest of self-understanding, be a medicine man or a good warrior, things like that.

Both would have standard animal handling skills, Herb Lore, naturalist, esoteric medicine—skills like that. They both would be able to read omens and such, but the Druid will look at the stars and the leaves while the Shaman would listen to the wind (wind voices are common in Native American lore) and perhaps cut open a goat and look at his entrails. Or, toss bones. Things like that. A druid won't harm or really use animals "against their will" whereas the Shaman will ask things of nature. He'll tame a wild horse or wolf. He'll ask a lot of his horse or animal companion, just as he would any comrade, human or otherwise.

A Druid might be able to speak with plants and animals whereas the Shaman will be more conventional in that manner. However, the Shaman can act as a medium and speak with spirits and such.

Just some thoughts!
if I can't say 'I'm chaotic evil!'"? —Jeff Freeman
Stripe is offline   Reply With Quote