View Single Post
Old 09-23-2014, 02:45 PM   #1
Lameth

Default Shaman verses Druid

Hello all

Recently I introduced a PC shaman into my fantasy world. The game had been dominated by the concept that a Druid is the king of the elements, animals, and nature realms. In the past games my druids claimed these realms and I mostly played them like your D&D druid meets Arthurian/Celtic druids. They transported via standing stone circles, Protected the "Old Ways" and "old faith" and protected the "Wyld" from others invading it and overusing it, as well as other things. They also communed with nature and the elements, as well as greater abilities like weather control and shape shifting. Basically your fantasy druid.

But now i have introduced a Shaman as well. Basically pulling heavily on suede-native American ideas and mythos, as well as one of my favorite comic characters, Marvel's "Shaman". Also, I stole heavily from the spirit concepts of the WW game Werewolf the forsaken, I love the way their spirits/spirit worlds are and the overall concept of them. Essentially, they “serve” and make deal with the spirits of the world and in exchange they acquire various powers as they gain more and more "respect" and service and deals. They may call on a local spirit of fire to light a camp fire, or a regional spirit of Conflict and war to crumble a wall, or a kind spirit of nature to heal a wound. Many take on a single Totem animal and they gain minor abilities in human form from this totem, and then the ability to alter into that totem if they wish to. Later they could “acquire” more favors from each “animal spirit” to take on more forms later on, but they only have one Totem. They can become very attuned to nature, weather, animals, elementals, and the spirit world itself.

1.Ways druids and shamans interact and treat with each other.

2.And yes the ways are different, but the overall "feel" is very similar to each other, correct? So what makes them different in the worlds eye since they appear in many ways the same. Why go to a Druid over a Shaman for X, or vice-versa? Is one more powerful in Nature then the other? And way

3.Essentially the differences and statuses of the “classes” and how they differ and how they are similar in the world, and what they both mean to the world and its people.

Thank you!
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote