View Single Post
Old 02-03-2023, 09:16 AM   #13
The Colonel

Default Re: How to teach roleplaying games to teenagers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Embassy of Time View Post
They actually did the half page 'essay' (their name for it, not mine) really well and loved it! All the character prep and rules stuff is going fine, but it seems to be the inhibition that trips them, and it actually borders on inability, I fear. They watch the videos and want to do things "right", constantly worrying (often out loud) what is the "right thing to do", like one might in a video game (I think? I don't play the popular ones). They grew up copying dances and quotes from online media, and I guess they try to copy things here, too, instead of freewheeling it. One of them writes creepy pastas and talked in private about how she mostly just "copies a formula" and puts her own spins on the stories. But she can't get that to work with this, of course. I think it's really an age/culture thing. I grew up imagining stuff from scratch, they grew up copying others and making adjustments to make something their own....
This ... mirrors my Mother's concerns. Until ... don't think it's quite a decade yet ... she was a teacher of children aged about 5-6 and had noticed a distinct issue with their ability to imagine over the years. Apparently part of the technique when dealing with that sort of age group is to read them a story and at some point pause and ask some of them what they think happens next, to encourage them to think in consequential and narrative terms and what have you and to learn to check and trust/correct their judgement. From her experience there was a growing trend in children who seemed incapable of doing this and/or needed a real push to do so, otherwise replying that that hadn't seen/heard this story before and didn't know, or saying they could just fast-forward and find out... and for reference, these were by no means special needs kids either, coming from a fairly well to do part of rural England (think small town US, nowhere in England is really rural by American standards).
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote