View Single Post
Old 08-01-2018, 11:53 AM   #14
Jim Kane
Banned

Default Re: How do you all handle mounted combat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymc View Post
There are times when the horse really doesn't matter. But there are times when the roleplaying is lacking because you don't have that capability. The fact that the rules are there broadens what I might want to do with the roleplaying aspect of the game -- have a chase on horseback, face a mounted knight or armored cavalryman on the road, perform a rescue and escape on a swift steed. I wouldn't want to miss those moments, and they are worth the time to look over those rules and see how they fit the action.
Again, you have me smiling broadly and nodding enthusiastically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
It is fun when people treat them sort of like a warrior's familiar.
This is *beautifully* stated. When I think about all the things which Silver, Tornado, and Trigger did to aid The Lone Ranger, Zorro, and Roy Rodgers in their adventures - pulling them from quicksand, biting through ropes to free their captured masters, going for help while the master is trapped in a cave-in, kicking in locked doors, etc. *that* is exactly the type of play we missed out on doing with horses (as a trained follower of the PC - or The Warrior's Familiar, as Lars put it) which could have provided so much additional story-telling fun and color - for those who like their TFT action and adventure on the *pulpy* side.

JK

PS - And let us not forget Edgar Rice Burroughs' version of the same dynamic, with Tarzan and his favorite "horse" and familiar, Tantor, the elephant!

Last edited by Jim Kane; 08-02-2018 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Typo and Post Script addendum
Jim Kane is offline   Reply With Quote