View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
johndallman
Night Watchman

Default Re: actually gaming in Worminghall

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
At this point most of the PCs are holding their own wealth. .... The amounts of money the PCs have isn't very hard to carry about;
This does make it quite worthwhile robbing them, or their lodgings. I was thinking more in terms of security than portability.
Quote:
$600 is six shillings, or 3.6 ounces of silver. (I'm going with a pound of silver being $2,000, reflecting the recorded scarcity of currency metals in the Middle Ages.)
That seems perfectly reasonable.
Quote:
I don't know the details of financial transactions in the Middle Ages. Did they have anything like letters of credit? Was there a network of merchants who discounted each other's notes?
Hum ... I don't know about this either. The only relevant book I have, Braudel's The Structures of Everyday Life, says that Europe rediscovered bills of exchange in the thirteenth century: the Roman had used them, but they had disappeared from the West until the Crusades brought them back from the Levant. Forgeries and other abuses developed quickly, of course, and central banks are centuries away.

Given that Worminghall is, inevitably, a somewhat cosmopolitan place with ideas arriving from many places, there are probably some merchants who will discount bills.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote