View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
whswhs

Default Re: actually gaming in Worminghall

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
This sounds like fun. How old are the PCs?

Something that I noticed reading Worminghall: many PCs will be dependent on money from home. I don't know how transfers of money over significant distances worked at the time. Once money arrived, it would presumably need to be stored with someone, acting at least informally as a bank, but I'm not sure who in Worminghall would provide that service.
Well, there is a goldsmith in town, though she's also a loan shark who employs a couple of legbreakers. At this point most of the PCs are holding their own wealth. The exception is the one who's at Cyprian House; his money goes to the house, whose master gives him spending money. The amounts of money the PCs have isn't very hard to carry about; $600 is six shillings, or 3.6 ounces of silver. (I'm going with a pound of silver being $2,000, reflecting the recorded scarcity of currency metals in the Middle Ages.)

Three of the five PCs have families in Shropshire or eastern Wales, who can send servants to drop off money with them. The fifth PC is the foster child of dragons on the Isle of Man, who sent him with a pouch of gold to cover his year's expenses.

I don't know the details of financial transactions in the Middle Ages. Did they have anything like letters of credit? Was there a network of merchants who discounted each other's notes? I'm not focusing this particular campaign on mercantile dealings, so I've been assuming that payments are largely handled off camera—magically, as it were.

The PCs are mostly 14; I think one may be 13.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote