Thread: New Talents?
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2005, 03:35 PM   #43
Stephane_Theriault

Default Re: New Talents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck
Noted. I probably should've labeled that last one "Munchkin Talent;" it wasn't serious at all.

Other than that, I did have a particular talent or affinity in mind for them, although I agree that "Prostitute" doesn't seem as well-related as the others. (I'm thinking of a couple of individuals I know in the sex industry. Their innate personality leans to those skills, even though they don't seem to actually use all of them. But I can't quite find a way to describe it, and am certainly willing to agree that Importance's "Seducer" talent is more realistic.)

Priest: Someone with an ability to share their innate connection with the divine.

Occultist: an affinity for, and understanding of, esoteric lore--the inborn understanding of connections between "mundane" facts and "supernatural" ones.

World Traveler: Possibly should be "natural tourist." An affinity for casual/superficial understanding of many cultures.
Ok, let's examine your Talents with that in mine.

Quote:
Priest/ess: Meditation, Psychology, Public Speaking, Religious Ritual, Theology
Bonus: Parishioners, anyone seeking spiritual guidance; 5 pts/level
Actually, this one looks fine.

Quote:
Occultist: Hidden Lore, History, Literature, Occultism, Research, Ritual Magic
Bonus: Historians, Researchers, anyone with ties to (or experiences with) the supernatural; 5 pts/level
The only one I don't understand is Ritual Magic. And even if it did make sense, it should NEVER, EVER be part of a Talent. That would be such a point crock because all your Paths and Rituals default to it one way or another.

Quote:
Prostitute: Acting, Detect Lies, Fast Talk, Erotic Art, Merchant, Streetwise
Bonus: Clients & prospective clients; 5 pts/level
Prostitute Talent is kinda bizarre, however a Courtesan Talent would be fine, since I see a Courtesan as a professionally-trained prostitute (stop laughing). Accordingly, I'd go with Sex Appeal (how could you forget that one?), Erotic Arts, Savoir-Faire (instead of Acting - how to act in high society), Make-Up, and Streetwise (how to act in low society).

Quote:
World Traveler: Area Knowledge, Carousing, Connoisseur, Current Affairs, Gambling, Geography, Gesture, Heraldry, Savoir Faire
Bonus: Traveling companions, hotel/travel managers; 10 pts/level
I do have a problem here. I can see Area Knowledge, Connoisseur, Geography, Heraldry and Savoir-Faire fitting together, but the others... I agree that a good traveller should have them, but I can't really see them fitting all in the same Talent.
Stephane_Theriault is offline   Reply With Quote