View Single Post
Old 06-05-2017, 02:12 PM   #170
Icelander

Default Re: Campaign: Facets

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Sergei (as per the description) pointed his rifle at Henrietta before he was shot. It is likely this threatening gesture is what prompted Stephen to shoot him (which kicked off the firefight).

"Sergei dropped the barrel of his rifle to his left hand, pointed at Henrietta, and shouted again for them to halt."

I take this as the rifle is now pointing at Henrietta..
I took it as him holding the rifle unreadied by the barrel in his left hand and pointing at Henrietta with his now empty right hand. After all, you don't touch the barrel of a rifle you are about to fire, that's what handguards are for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Regardless, you do not block a road and flag down travelers with a firearm unless you are the authorities or seek to rob them. Had Sergei's intentions been anything other than highway robbery, he'd have made himself visible without a gun or attempted to barricade their path with a tree.

His intentions were obvious.
That's why I mentioned my lack of local political knowledge. I don't know enough to rule out the Cossacks being soldiers/mercenaries/guards/law-enforcers (the lines have historically been blurry) in the service of a local polity or landowner. Or working on behalf some polity (Russia or whoever) further away, investigating a suspicious group of armed strangers, who are clearly lying about most of what they say, and seem likely to be arming Apache raiders in contravention of local law and treaties.

The Cossacks had a firefight the night before. Against whom?

It's not unreasonable of them to be wary and, in any case, a rifle is a standard part of travelling kit out West. Just carrying one isn't unfriendly when away from civilisation.