View Single Post
Old 01-14-2013, 11:42 AM   #105
Whitestreak

Default Re: GURPS Releases seem to be slow?

If nothing else, a viable design system would be helpful for people creating those vehicle catalogs, which do seem to get more requests than the actual design system.

How such a system would be helpful could go like this:

Let's say Larry and I are both working on books that could complement each other - but we are unaware of the fact. My book is on NATO aircraft of the Cold War, while Larry is working on Warsaw Pact aircraft of the same era. If I give the F-4 Phantom a handling of X, and Larry gives the Mig-17 a handling of 4xX, that'll lead to errata down the line, since, historically, the Mig-17 has a smaller turn radius and is more maneuverable overall. Or, Larry could be doing a book on aircraft in Vietnam and give his F-4 a handling of Y - whose version would be correct?

This is a concern because, generally, we've heard in the past to simply use a similar vehicle already published as a guide, which, to me, means hand-wave it, it'll be OK.

Now, from what I understand, WotC's Star Wars RPG had a vehicle design system that they used in house for quite a long period before they published it, the in-house version being so that vehicles in one supplement matched those on other supplements.
Whitestreak is offline   Reply With Quote