View Single Post
Old 12-27-2021, 11:31 AM   #42
Skarg

Default Re: Mundane Talents and Backgrounds

It seems pretty good to me from the standpoint of making sense, and what characters (perhaps mainly NPCs) who have mastered Farming would have. Of course, it's also only different from RAW by the IQ 9+ requirement, which probably a GM making a master farmer NPC would give them anyway.

And as for the critique that most PCs would find it too expensive to want to ever get... that seems entirely appropriate to me, again from a making-sense perspective (my usual perspective). If people want a PC who is a master farmer but are stopped by a perspective along the lines of "but it's penalizing them 2 talent points", then I'd say that if the GM has sympathy for that perspective, they can make such rulings as:

1) Ok, that makes sense for your nice character background, so yes you can start as a Master Farmer and you may still start with up to IQ in other talents.

2) In this campaign, PCs can take up to 3 points in mundane talents if they explain the background well and the GM approves.

3) You earned XP that went into Master Farmer while working as a farmer and being mentored.

etc...
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote