View Single Post
Old 08-21-2010, 06:19 PM   #11
Bruno

Default Re: When does one use Scrounging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
Scrounging still involves a degree of 'knowing where to look' of course, but I like the way you have put it.
Well true - with Scrounging it's a different kind of psychology at work ("how people treat things they don't particularly care about" vs "how people treat things they think have some value") and due to the way many things Scrounged are abandoned, you also need to know where they'd blow, or how they'd settle, or how the locals treat garbage collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
I have always thought of it as virtually a necessary skill for gadgeteers. And you will always want it when your last-ditch stratagem calls for "two geese, a roll of duct tape, 23 toothpicks, and some sodium benzoate." :)
"Finding a irrational pile of random crap" is definitely right up the alley of Scrounge. It's a good skill for scavenger hunts.

EDIT: I have Absent Minded, definitely the full -15 point version. When I have something in my hand/hands and my attention gets focused on something else and I need a free hand, I literally have no concious awareness of the process of freeing up the hand. It just shows up miraculously empty for me to use. Meanwhile, I've put my car keys in the freezer, my book on top of my computer monitor, and the asprin have been neatly filed in the bookshelf. Everyone who lives with me has to develop some Scrounge just to help me find my stuff.

It gets 10x worse if it's something the cat might like, because she might HIDE it after playing with it, and then you have to know to switch from Scrounge (Human) to Search (Feline). I'm pretty sure that's how my car keys ended up in a boot a few months ago - it's just too inconvenient for me to absentmindedly stuff them in a boot, whereas it's right at cat level...

Last edited by Bruno; 08-21-2010 at 06:24 PM.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote