View Single Post
Old 06-12-2012, 11:31 PM   #45
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: Attribute N/A, Useful concept or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurps Fan View Post
I think I'm aware of how the current GURPS rules work. I know that there's no such thing as "IQ N/A" in any of the 4e GURPS books and that "IQ 0" is the label for non-sentience. If the topic of this thread were what "IQ 0" currently means in the GURPS rules as we know, everyone including me would agree with you.

However, in this thread I think we're discussing "how people think the rules should be" (opinions), as opposed to "how the current rules work" (facts). True, removing the notion of non-sentience from "IQ 0" and creating a new notation "IQ N/A" do contradict the current rules, but it's not a problem. We're talking about whether allowing "Attribute N/A" is better or not than what's currently written in the GURPS books, and I support the view introducing "Attribute N/A" and distinguishing it from "Attribute 0" is better.
Okay then.

I think the only attribute where N/A could mean something is IQ. And splitting off N/A from 0 doesn't really do anything to free up the IQ scale. You also have to re-assign the sapience barrier and re-map the deep cognitive limitations of animals at IQ 1 and 2.