View Single Post
Old 06-29-2020, 03:35 PM   #9
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: Finer levels for Resistant? Is Immunity effectively +10 or +15?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekai View Post
I'm not surprised at all that you've written something relevant! And, wow, that Alternate Resistant Bonus Table is weird. As written, I knew pricing for Resistant like that wouldn't come out as linear, which is still weird because isn't Resistant really just a specialized HT bonus (like Hard to Kill/Subdue)? That just shows me how weird Resistant is.

It seems like the costs between Resistant (+3) and Immunity could almost be linear after factoring in a buy-in cost (like an Unusual Background). Very common seems like it could be points = 1.67 × bonus + 5. A better fit would be points = 1.33 × bonus + 6, which would make Immunity seem like it's worth +18.

Now that I think about it, I figure that the non-linear cost might be a weird holdover from 3e; so, I figure a linear cost of 2 points/level seems fine for a very common Resistant after all. The only thing is that it makes that +1 level very cheap compared to what it 'should be'.
Note, I didn't come up with that - Eric B. Smith did. I just asked to use it in my work because as you so correctly point out sometimes you want an odd bonus to resist other than +3 or +8. He just followed the pattern that was laid down for the base trait. You could change it, but I wouldn't.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote