View Single Post
Old 11-13-2017, 01:29 PM   #34
JMason

Default Re: Why isnt Wealth a Knight option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
You don't have to add up everything on the character sheet if you don't want. Nothing prevents whatever you write in a "Point Total" blank from being something than the sum of everything written down elsewhere.

Indeed if a character has unspent points and you want it to be a measure of current capabilities it will presumably be that already - you don't want it to include unspent points, since they don't measure anything about ability, and the player will be recording them somewhere, since he doesn't want them to disappear.

If that sort of thing is meaningful to you, you can perfectly well run two totals - e.g. Points Spent and Current Value - if you like
I'm not talking about unspent points. I'm just saying that I don't see the point in keeping track of "lost" character points that were spent on things other than standard character traits. It clutters up the character sheet and when I've had players do it in the past, I've had to clean up the character sheets.

To me there is no value in having "Points traded for $" on the character sheet. If wondering why Bob and Bill have two different point totals is an issue, then I'd have to start adding "Didn't show up for game" traits to "give" points to balance things out. That doesn't actually convey any information about the Character which is what the character sheet is there for. Lots of extraneous information is just noise.