View Single Post
Old 11-05-2018, 12:49 AM   #23
zot

Default Re: Does a Reptile Man double their HTH damage before or after their UC/Brawling bonu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
In the absence of a ruling from SJ, I would tend to interpret the RAW this way:

* The rule says they do double damage for their ST, not double to the effects of their talents.
* To me, "double the damage" means double the dice and adds, not roll normal and multiply the results.
* Calling it two separate attacks would be a house rule. It does seem to make nice sense referring to the "jaws and claws" description, and make sense to handle as two attacks (armor applies to each), but I think if young SJ had meant that, he would have written that they get two attacks in HTH, not double damage for their ST.

So a Reptile Man with ST 16 would do 1d damage with bare claw attacks outside HTH, or 2d damage in HTH. A dirty Brawling +2 attack would do 1d+2 outside HTH, 2d+2 in HTH. Or with a dagger, 1d-1 outside HTH, 2d+3 in HTH.
Right, ST vs. talents is the ambiguity. Doubling the dice and mods is a great idea. For ST 12, it provides only a 0.5 pt advantage but it goes to 2.5 pts at ST 15, which is good.

"Double the HTH damage that a human of equivalent ST" for ST 16 is 2d+2 because a normal ST 16 human does 1d+1 in HTH, so that's 2d+4 in HTH for a ST 16 Reptile Man with brawling, fighting dirty. A messy form of suicide indeed. (Also, I think you meant 1d+3 for a dagger in HTH :))

The average damage progression goes like this:

Code:
ST  DMG   +2   DOUBLE
12  1d-1  4.5    5
13  1d    5.5    7
15  1d+1  6.5    9
DOUBLE DAMAGE! Sounds like a lot but it's not, compared to +2, when you're doubling 1d-1.
zot is offline   Reply With Quote