View Single Post
Old 06-25-2015, 01:43 AM   #34
panton41

Default Re: GURPS supplements that you'll like read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
A swing and a miss on the Pedantry table. No one mentioned the fall of the roman EMPIRE, only Rome.
;)
In 476 no one thought anything unusual had happened. The Ostrogoth king didn't name another powerless figurehead "emperor" after he forced the previous one to step down. Life went on. No one thought anything special had happened.

Justinian I reclaimed Rome in 540 (by Belisarius using trickery and angering Justinian's wife who distrusted the general) and a few years later after Justinian's Plague Rome was overtaken by Germanic warlords yet again. Life went on. No one thought anything special had happened.

The Fall of Rome wasn't anything special until the Renaissance and people in Italy (largely descendants of those Germans, mind you) thought it must have been a major event and created the myth of the "Fall of Rome" and relabeled the Eastern Roman Empire (i.e the Roman Empire) the "Byzantine Empire" to make it an even bigger deal. (Let's not get into the Holy Roman Empire which was neither "holy" nor "Roman" and was solidly German and largely secular.)

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote