View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 11:18 AM   #7
David Johnston2

Default Re: Game Balance: Clerical Magic in a non-magic world

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanksoldier View Post
I just had an interesting idea from a player in a campaign I'm getting started.

In the basic set it mentions delusions being true. What if a character's delusion "the old gods have returned" is true... for HIM?

Would it be unbalancing in a modern day TL-8 campaign for a character to be able to "pray" for minor spell effects, and have it work?

I'm thinking Delusion because everybody ELSE will assume it's a delusion and react with penalties... at least, until they watch him actually Minor Heal somebody... plus Power Investiture and Blessed.

This was sparked by a short story on Imagur about aliens invading, and the old gods returning to fight them off.

Here is the important thing to remember about Delusion. Your Delusion may in fact be true. Shapeshifting aliens may be invading, the New World Order may be masterminding a scheme to reduce the world's population by 90%, your car may be self-aware or you may be the rightful king of Portugal. But if you have your delusion at greater than quirk level you're still crazy. The thing that defines the value of a Delusion is not how likely people are to believe the same thing you do, but how irrationally you respond to that belief. I had a Space adventure seed where a person had a Delusion that the there were lifelike robots living among humanity and pretending to be human. This was in fact true, but only coincidentally, and he reacted to this belief by standing on a street corner and assaulting random passers-by in the buttocks with a long pin to try to expose the imposters. He was right...but he was crazy.

When a person hasn't responded irrationally to their belief but they have a bad reputation because of it, then that's not Delusion. It's just a reputation as a crazy person/heretic.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote