View Single Post
Old 02-13-2018, 09:59 AM   #22
Devil_Dante

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#52): Extra Attack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Semi-automatic firearms actually have a much higher mechanical cyclic rate than 3 per second. The RoF 3 is a limitation based on how fast most normal people can pull a trigger and still be firing somewhat accurately.

The Fast-Firing technique is training in firing semi-automatic firearms faster than their RoF 3. You can fire at any RoF from ROF 4-9, but faster than RoF 6 is usually counterproductive even if you have training in the technique.

The technique is in GURPS High-Tech, but that version is too harshly penalised to reflect reality and after some further research, an updated version of the technique appeared in GURPS Tactical Shooting.

I have a character in an ongoing campaign who has Extra Attack (Multistrike); Fast-Firing at full skill and Quick-Shot at full skill. He also has sense-based superpowers from Enhanced Senses, among the ability to have his eyes function as targeting sensors with rangefinding, which he can use while taking another action (complicated build, based on buying modifiers to base Senses), and Enhanced Tracking (Multiple Lock-ons).

At CQC ranges, Chase Taylor can get a flash sight picture and engage three targets in one second with quick double taps to center mass, RoF 6, and never miss once except on critical failures. If he slows down to two targets per second, he can put a controlled pair or three shots rapid into the head of them both at any range up to, more or less, the mechanical accuracy of the weapon.

So, his Extra Attack is, as yet, only useful at short ranges and hand-to-hand, but he certainly uses it with his Guns skill. And when he upgrades his Enhanced Tracking, he can engage up to three targets with aimed fire per turn.

When he doesn't have this many targets, he'll just fire controlled pairs until the target is down. Two controlled pairs to the pelvis, one controlled pair to the head. Better than just a single attack at RoF 6, because this way, you don't have to succeed by 10+ so that all of your rounds hit precisely where you aimed them.
So, rof is not the mechanical limit? I can get it.. I mean, most semi automatic weapons could fire more than 3 shots.. But I treated rof as a "rule" to balance fire weapons..
Anyway, fast firing is a very useful tech no know, and your build is pretty legit! I mean, you can reach, what? 12 shots per round? With extra attack you can divide shots between 3 people.. 4 bullets per person.. Well, is that a super o cyber campaign, if you Don t mind my curiosity.
Devil_Dante is offline   Reply With Quote