View Single Post
Old 03-22-2011, 03:42 PM   #14
starslayer

Default Re: Magic items made from Great Red Dragon's corpse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
I doubt any of the PCs will desire such a huge effect. Being a great red dragon is cool, but it also makes you everyone's target.

Also, a larger number of nifty little items seems to be the sort of thing they like.
Well it would not be 'being a huge red dragon' in the singular sense. It would be 'consuming an entire one of your 1000 point manastones, to be a huge red dragon, for one minute', or conversely for the same age as user dragon 'like shapeshift elephant, but with claws, and scales, and flight, and a natural breath weapon, and no chance of being stuck that way because it's racial average IQ is probably higher then yours'

I actually like handing out the 'immensely powerful but one use' items in my games. Ironically my experience is that PCs find it awesome to get them, dutifully write them down on there character sheets, and then refuse to use them except to threaten people because 'I only have ONE!'. For one particularly epic fight I awarded the party archer an 'arrow of annihilation' which destroys a 50 meter sphere at point of impact, he still has it ~300 quests later, and the most he has ever used it for was to knock it and THREATEN to use it.

Last edited by starslayer; 03-22-2011 at 03:47 PM.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote