View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010, 07:48 AM   #6
mlangsdorf

Default Re: Fantasy Grounds and other virtual tabletops

Quote:
Originally Posted by thulben View Post
I've always been curious as to why you use two programs. What are the benefits/drawbacks of each such that one of them by itself is insufficient? This isn't meant to be inflammatory, but I'm toying around with using a VTT program and would like to hear opinions from a 'veteran'. Thanks!
The downside is that you have 2 different chat applications, which means twice the opportunities for people to miss connections or have network woes. Also, you have to run more applications, though they're both relatively lightweight. And OpenRPG has some stability/install issues.

The upside is that you have two chat connections, so there can be a much clearer distinction between "stuff we're talking about in game" and "random outside comments." That's not really worth much.

OpenRPG uses Python for its extensions, and while I'm not fond of the language, I can hack it if I need to. So I can easily extend the OpenRPG die-roller or other tools. MapTools uses a misbegotten macro language that is under constant evolution. I'm not willing to put up with that, though Bruno is and is doing some nice work.

Finally, OpenRPG has a better chat interface in my opinion: tabbed whispers, easy colorful aliasing, and the like. I'm hoping that when MapTools 1.4 revises the chat interface, I'll get enough of the features I want that I can switch to only using MapTools. For now, I'm committed to using both.
mlangsdorf is offline   Reply With Quote