View Single Post
Old 04-18-2019, 02:13 PM   #13
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: [Adventure Seeds] Bears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
I had Nordlond in mind as a possible backdrop for both "Uneasy Slumber" and "The Bear Myth." For the latter, I've been meaning to reread the grappling rules in HoJ (or, better yet, the updated and expanded set) to see how a delver might fare against a bear if they couldn't use weapons. The more I've been mulling it over, the more I like the idea of arriving in the underworld without gear. (Should have called the scenario "Bear Naked.") Fits the whole bear myth theme of rebirth, too. As partial compensation—and to explain plausible victory in a wrestling match with the king of the bears—ability scores could be boosted: your spirit body isn't burdened with imperfect mortal flesh . . . Or the questors might get the equivalent of Heroic Grace, Might, and/or Vitality. Good scenario design would also have other options (tricking or avoiding the bear, making use of terrain features for weapons, etc.), but it feels very DF to have some badass, blood-soaked barbarian manage to strangle a humongous bear.

Fun to playtest.
For what it's worth, the Wrestling Master pre-gen character from Hall of Judgment has an effective grappling ST of 28. So . . . I suspect that you won't need too much more help.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote