View Single Post
Old 02-10-2018, 03:28 AM   #2
maximara
On Notice

Default Re: How Would GURPS Rules Need To Be Changed For A Computer Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post
While unlikely to happen, I recently got to wondering what a company would need to change in the GURPS rules if they licensed them to make a video game, as has been done to D&D so many times over the years. I think, unless you can think of something really important, it would be best to keep examples to DF and things that can reasonably be expected to crop up in DF, as that parallels D&D and it's games.

So what I think would need changing or dropping?

1) Anything that requires lots of GM adjudication would have to go, so no Gadgeters and no Ritual Path Magic.

2) If building an MMO or other game where real time play is desired, then turn length would have to be made longer, as it would take longer then a second to input a second's worth of choices!
Considering Fallout originally was going to use the GURPS system you really wouldn't have to "change" that much. Turn duration isn't that big a deal as you generally don't have to think about such matters in an MMO.

GM adjudication can be handled by limiting what is available which is a setting matter. You aren't going to have the Enchantment college available if magic items are rare such as in Thundarr or Middle Earth.

In fact some settings (such as the Slayers anime) are best modeled with the Ritual Magic system.

Gadgeteering has such a time and money investment that next to no one would want to mess with it in an MMO so that is reason enough not to include it.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote