Thread: Wizard Vows
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 06:56 AM   #44
Ts_

Default Re: Wizard Vows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnifex View Post
I'd also suggest that the value of the vow is not simply because crushing weapons are inherently worse than cutting or impaling ones (arguably, they're not), but because the character is sealing himself off from 2/3rds of the low-tech weapons in the world. If the character breaks into an armory and finds only swords, he's out of luck.
Some characters don't have any sword skill, and would at most get a incompentency quirk for that. (Besides, the munchkin in me would argue that striking with the flat blade is allowed under such a Vow. Or just use an improvised club. Besides, you're a freaking wizard ...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnifex View Post
If the monster can only be killed by piercing its eyes, then the character must rely on allies or run away. He's limiting his options pretty severely.
That is exactly an argument that cut/imp/pi is better than cr and doesn't explain why "no blunt weapons" should also be -10.

Really, what are the game mechanical effects that make the restriction of a wizard to staff, club, shields, tonfa, net, bolas, maybe sling a -10 disadvantage? You could build a perfectly fine wizard around that and most people wouldn't even notice that he cannot use a sword or a pickaxe. That it isn't much of a restriction unless the PC has points in those weapon skills. Which the wizard presumably doesn't care about. He doesn't need to improvise with broken bottles (use pool cues) or pick up a weapon when he couldn't bring his own because he's got build in weapons.

And please, compare that to a wizard that has sworn "keep silence at all times", which is also a -10 vow (not even -15) in the Basic Set. Tell me why that character isn't entirely useless. (Yes, dance a.k.a. gesture-only magery would help. But it comes with a big build-it discount, so this would be double-dipping imho.)

I really don't get it. A fighter can be quite competent with a -10 vow that just screams "I'm bad for fighters". A wizard can be completely obliterated by another -10 vow but should still be allowed the same -10 vow designed against fighters? Huh? Something isn't priced right here. If you think that the weapon restrictions is a -10, please make the vow of silence a -20 at least or even the full -25 for mute.

Regards
Ts
Ts_ is offline   Reply With Quote