View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 11:03 AM   #15
Bruno

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy party compositions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutibu View Post
Also he doesnt invest time in finding out what his skills and advantages actually do in the game, but rather has an image in his midn what they can do and when this doesnt work he freezes the game by putting his feet in the sand until we give him some sort of compromise.. How do you deal with this sort of player?
Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I don't know for sure, as my players don't act that way, but I think I might call it grounds for termination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
You kick him out.

You might (should!) do it politely, but if his gaming style is ruining the fun for the rest of the group, then he needs to go. I'm too old to muck with that sort of sophomoric stuff anymore. Damn kids. :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadkiller_Dog View Post
I have a policy for this kind of thing - my DMG rule. I hit players like this on the head with my 1st edition AD&D DMG.

Really, you need to say something like, "Look dude, stop being a bad player. Either learn the rules and quit whining, or just quit whining." Really, it's just bad manners, bad playing, and bad sportsmanship. You need to make it clear that given the choice between play a fun game, or play a less fun game with a whiny, complaining player, you're going to choose to play without him.
If this is a player who "should know better", this would be my general approach. They'd get a conversation about why this behavior sucks, and put on probation. If they violate probation by continuing to suck, they get kicked out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Or, if you really want him in a future campaign, you might require him to set aside 10 or 20 character points to be used in buying skills that his character ought to have but that he didn't think of buying.
This is, however, very good for people who might be quite new, or perhaps part of the probation - "unassign" a few traits or attribute levels to get back the freed points (or assign an extra disad if he hasn't hit the limit) and get him to pick up some on the fly for the next bit while he figures out what he really needed.

I actually have a standing policy that new characters (of experienced players or new ones) can be "tweaked" for the first two or three sessions of play, and that anyone can leave some CP and money unallocated at character generation for these "I forgot!" or "I didn't know it worked like that!" moments. With a party full of raw newbies, I'd have them start somewhat low on points and then give them a big reward after three or four sessions, and a lot of latitude on how to spend it.

That will give them the chance to make major additions ("oops, I really want High Pain Threshold I guess") now that they've settled into the system some more.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote