View Single Post
Old 11-18-2019, 05:50 PM   #89
tshiggins

Default Re: Collaborative Worldbuilding Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
For future reference I would like to throw out another suggestion for the pile.

A post apocalyptic setting, but with the added limitations of having;
No major powers, just smaller factions. To play up the fist full of dollars type campaign.
Set on earth.
If there was also some higher TL artifacts around there could be some good setting material from which I could spin an agricultural write up or two. Having no major powers would also help with this.
I'd participate in this, as long as we kept it reined in. For instance, the current space station thread is entirely too baroque and over the top.

(If it houses more than a few thousand people, and specializes in something other than services for spacecraft and crews, it's a habitat and not a station. A station exists to serve transient traffic as part of a transportation infrastructure.)

Keep the tech level at no greater than TL9 at the time of the cataclysm; make the "current time" no more than one generation after the event; and try to get the idea through people's skulls that any society with a sophisticated industrial supply chain is not a valid AtE setting; and we might be able to come up with some gritty goodness.

For my part, I'd go even more hardcore, and pick an alt-history setting in which Lt. Col. Stanislav Petrov wasn't on duty during Able Archer 83, and everything that could've gone wrong, did.

That puts the technology at the apocalypse at late TL7/early TL8, in an era with lots of source material to mine for ideas.
tshiggins is offline   Reply With Quote