View Single Post
Old 11-06-2019, 07:28 AM   #82
Daigoro

Default Re: Collaborative Worldbuilding Threads

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
I think 1 sentence is a stronger limitation and will amplify the effects of the d6 sentences rules. 5 sentence answers often don't feel limited at all.
There is a lot more freedom with 4+ sentences, but I they're still shorter than some of the answers we got in the other threads. Have a look at the last page of the cross-dimension thread, and I think the shortest answer was 5 sentences.

Quote:
The short sentences have made it much more obvious when people try to go off on tangents and insert stuff that wasn't asked about. That isn't a problem the short answers causes. Short answers just makes it more obvious when its done, and it probably prevents it. Having highlighted that facet of the game, it makes me want to find a stronger fix for that sort of thing than we currently have. Without driving people away, of course.

I'm not sure if the policy has made the setting any easier to follow. We're trying to stick as much into our sentences as we can, and we've had a few misunderstandings.
I think this might be just a teething problem, and we'll get better at being more on point with a bit more practice. Also, we'll start answer more bite-size questions, rather than asking "Describe the republic's government system and political history. (You have... 2 sentences!)"

If there's a problem with short answers, it's that without the extra detail we're more prone to working on our own unstated assumptions rather than on what was actually said. That might be what was behind a couple of the mix-ups about which races there were. For instance, I'd presumed that a "precursor" race came and went a long time ago, but that's not the only course that history has to take.

So I guess the fix is to just keep that issue and mind, and be ready to negotiate and fix up anything that pops up.

Anyway, I think the d6 rule adds a bit of gamist fun, and, like iambic pentameter, having a writing rule forces you to be creative in certain ways too.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote