View Single Post
Old 12-27-2009, 05:44 PM   #36
demonsbane

Default Re: [DF] Help with creating a Buddhist cleric and holy warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Yeah, well DF is a game. An accurate representation of how, say, Hermetic magicians operate would only be good for inspiration.
I agree. It's a game like any other RPG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantric View Post
Now this, I have to object to. Even in a logical sense - where did the guru get them? There are also two types of buddhas that don't follow the traditional path, both of them come to enlightenment on their own, and one of them doesn't teach at all. Also, what do you mean by 'mere psychological effects'?
In a logical sense, the guru get the supernatural element through . . . his own guru. And this earlier guru? From the avâtara: the founder of an upaya borns with the power of starting such line of transmission. Gautama, for instance, regarding Buddhism. Muhammad, for instance, regarding Sufism. Etc.

There were no real buddhas skipping the real lines of transmission. However these things weren't mentioned openly, as many others.

Quote:
In any case, the point here is that the OP wants a cleric/monk combo with a buddhist feel. I'm for giving him what he wants.
That's why I mentioned Padma-Shambhava: the perfect Buddhist yogi (cleric?) and Holy Warrior.

You made your contributions here, and they are valuable. I'm making my own. What's the problem?

Quote:
There is no 'real' Buddhism, there is no 'real' Dungeon Fantasy, there is no one to offend. Calling the class "non-Buddhist tantric guru" to avoid offending or misrepresenting True Buddhism is silly. In DF, Jesus was not a simple man with some good ideas - he was a spiritual powerhouse who could kick some ass. Why should the monotheists have all the fun?
There is no "real Buddhism"? Hm, I also doubt of the current reality of Buddhism, but it existed in the past.

Regarding Jesus . . . I also think a christian monk isn't well suited for Dungeon Fantasy, except as a healer. Jesus "teachings" and ways had very little to do with the Dungeon Fantasy themes. Maybe the Old Testament is better . . . As you can see I'm not "favoring" Christians here.

Quote:
Calling the class "non-Buddhist tantric guru" to avoid offending or misrepresenting True Buddhism is silly.
"DF is about having fun", but however you guys are speaking of real life things around here. Trying to clear misconceptions isn't silly.

Quote:
I want a monk who can stare holes in the walls and reveal a succubus as a withered hag. DF is about having fun. Allow me to repeat myself:
OK, go with your DF Buddhist Cleric/Holy Warrior . . . B-dog was asking for some ideas regarding that, and he has, I believe, some useful and interesting answers.

"Physics is basic but inessential."
Wolfgang Smith

My G+