View Single Post
Old 02-21-2018, 09:46 AM   #5
TheAmishStig

Default Re: Airbrush Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CON_Troll View Post
Do you have a compressor already? If not, be sure to get a good one with a regulator and a good flex hose. Should have at least 1hp strength - 1.5 is better. Auto shut-off if you have the regulator set too high is also a good thing (to prevent burning up the motor.) Anything less than $100 (new) tends to be inferior. Shop at hobby stores that carry model trains. For some reason, they tend to have a larger selection of better models (including airbrushes.)
I don't have one that's appropriate for an airbrush, no...just one of those little emergency 'plug into the car's cigarette lighter' ones that's one-lung, tankless, and about worthless for anything larger or higher pressure than a small beach ball.

Been considering a big one for getting air tools for the car [I'm getting too old to be laying in a stone driveway with a mallet and a breaker bar], but that's just as wildly inappropriate on the other end of the spectrum....I really doubt I need a 175psi, 80dB, 30-gallon monster for painting minis. Plus I doubt the neighbors would appreciate the noise...

I'm not finding any compressors in that power range that aren't full-bore shop compressors, complete with sounding like a freight train...all the ones labeled "airbrush" I'm finding are 1/6 to 1/4hp. Any recommendations?

If my reading is right, it's looking like a $400-ish proposition to get started to 'do it right', with a compressor marketed 'for airbrushes'...or $600-ish for a shop compressor. The booth is 'nice' rather than 'necessary', but I may as well do it right from the onset.

- $100 for the brush (Badger 105 XPR, recommended by Sparky)
- $150 for a decent compressor with built-in regulator
- $100 for a lit, vented spray box
- leaving $50 for a cleaning kit, medium, needles, hose, etc.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote