View Single Post
Old 11-15-2019, 05:34 PM   #35
Ulzgoroth

Default Re: 25mm Payload Rifle [Ultratech]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_Dragon View Post
A 25mm ET UBGL has twice the range of the AGS-17, so it's presumably a higher velocity round, though the round is also lighter (Somehow the whole 25mmPC is about half the weight of the AGS-17 projectile). So energy may well be higher, fired from a platform that is both much lighter and not secured by a tripod.

The ET payload rifle, meanwhile, has a heavier round than the AGS-17, though it's impossible to tell how the actual projectiles correspond to each other. We also know that the payload rifle throws its round 7.5 times the distance, so energy is probably much higher, in a weapon system that weighs a third as much (Sorry, a quarter as much; I was forgetting the weight of the AGS-17's tripod).

Neither of these sound like a fun time.
Remember, the AGS-17 is expected to fire 6+ rounds per second, while the recommended use for the UT 25mm weapons would usually be single aimed shots. That should make them a bit less brutal, though a medium-velocity 25mm shell fired from the shoulder does sound like a very bad time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_Dragon View Post
(Edit: as a note, the XM-25 has a max range of only 1100 yards, a mere third of the 25mm ET UBGL's 3300)
I'm not sure whether the XM-25's range limit is from ballistics or from the fire control of the airburst shells.